James came over to the shop last week and locked the door behind him. I thought it was a beat down for something, or an ass raping. I was wrong. He came over to make sure I put in some time on this build since I had been so busy walking around the bike for the last month doing other shit. So he stayed up past 9PM this one night to get me moving on it again. He's dreamy!
So I found a header on the 'Bay for under the cost of a left nut. I hate that place but living in NJ means no good salvage yards and swaps are hard to cover as there aren't many catering to 30 year old Hondas with good deals being offered. So with the header and a set of flanges in hand I made the needed mods and got that bolted onto the head. The head on this engine is off of an FT500. They had larger pipes. I just made some rings to go over the head pipe ends and welded them on. The flanges are captive on the pipe now but they do the job. Then I fabbed up an aluminum intake spout to get the carb mounted. The shock finally got worked out and I have just enough room for a very slim carb screen. I added some material to the '82 swingarm to make the axle slots more usable with the 18" rear wheel and tire by closing them in and adding a set of new adjuster pins 7/8 rearward. Now I can get that huge knobby in there. I had this tire given to me about 8 years ago. It was brand new. I didn't have a dirt bike so I hung it on the wall as decoration. It's perfect! I stole the old tube from James as he bought a new one and I made some new aluminum wheel spacers to set up the '79 wheel in the '82 swinger. I also made use of an incorrectly ordered rear sprocket that was here. We lopped off the frame as well to get the rear fender sorted. I made some new extensions and got the initial mock up on the fender done. I have a ton of stuff to do still. Gonna be a long month of late nights to get it done in time to test ride and work out the bugs. I love coffee!